Scale Factor – Part Two

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 7.35.13 PM

During the last week of school one of my classes explored dilatations.  It was a rather short lesson since there were only a couple days of school left.  After some review, I pulled out a project from last year and thought might be applicable since it addressed the same standard for that particular day. I looked it over and made a few changes so this year it would run smoother.  Here’s what changed:

  • I had the students create an exact 4cm by 6cm grid using rulers.  This was different than my initial project.  I made sure to check each grid before students moved on to the next step.  I’m not a fan of having a simple mistake or unclear directions derail an entire project (which it did for some last year) – so I decided to check each students initial grid.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 7.53.31 PM.png

  • I also created a random piece to the amount of dilation this time around.  This picture is from last year’s post.update.pngLast year students already knew the grid to use and basically used a “paint by number” approach to fill in each square.  Although that was fun, it didn’t really hit the objectives as much as I’d like.  I had students roll a die to determine the dilation this time.  This gave four different options for students.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 7.35.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 7.45.49 AM

  • I put together a criteria for success component where students could check-off items when completed.  I set up the different dimension papers on one of the tables so students could easily grab them depending on their dilation.  I also added a short debrief piece near the end of the project where students discussed how they increased the size of the image.

These changes helped improve this particular project and I believe it created a better learning experience for the students.   There are times where I completely scrap a project and other times I make tweaks in order to make it better.  I opted for the second option this time around.

* Next year I’m planning on updating the project to include dilations that involve reducing the size of an image.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s